Teens in Action
Teens In Action is a youth leadership program that equips high school students with the social and emotional skills needed to learn about themselves and the needs of their community. The program prepares young people to work with peers, adults, community members and stakeholders to affect change. Through a two-day introductory boot camp and monthly workshops, Teens In Action participants practice the following competencies throughout the academic school year: self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision-making. Along with developing Social and Emotional Learning skills, teens volunteer with local organizations to apply that knowledge and give back to their community. Before graduating, teens showcase the skills that they learn throughout the year by creating and implementing a Capstone Service Project that engages community partners.
Interested in Applying?
Selected class members are expected to:
- Fully and actively participate in all aspects of the Teens In Action program from 7/29/18 to 5/4/19.
- Demonstrate respect for staff, leaders, program guests, and fellow program members.
- Pay a $350 program fee by 7/19/18. Limited need-based scholarships are available.
- Applicants for Teens In Action must be entering grades 9 through 12 and live or attend school in Hillsborough County.
- Applicants must have the full support of their parent(s) or guardian(s).
- Applicants will submit two letters of recommendation from adults familiar with their character and commitment to growth (i.e. teacher, pastor, coach, etc.).
- Applicants will be selected for an interview for final selection into the program.
- As a high school student, we know you are extremely busy with school, clubs, sports, and possibly a job. We also recognize your desire to serve your community. Please review the following requirements to determine if you are able to commit to the Teens In Action program. Applicants must be able to commit to the following mandatory programs and events:
- Orientation → 7/29 (Parent(s)/Guardian(s) and Teens are required to attend)
- Leadership Training (Only for selected leaders that have completed at least one year of Teens In Action) → 7/30
- Bootcamp → 8/2-8/3 (Overnight retreat; transportation provided)
- No fewer than 8 out of 9 of the following workshop dates → 8/19, 9/9, 10/7, 11/4, 12/2, 1/27, 2/24, 3/24, 4/28
- Dedicate at least 10 hours per month to your selected community service site.
- Participate in a Teens In Action led service project → Date TBD
- Graduation → 5/4
- Applicants must be able to complete 80 hours of community service during the duration of the program (about 2 hours per week).
- Applicants must have transportation to and from monthly workshops and volunteer service sites.
- Applicants must regularly check and, when necessary, respond to Teens In Action correspondence that comes directly from Frameworks and service sites.
- In reviewing applications, the Selection Committee looks for potential participants who demonstrate:
- A desire to develop social and emotional concepts and skills.
- A strong commitment to community service and learning about the projects they will support.
- The ability to make the time commitment required by the program.
- Upon final consideration, applicants will be contacted for a personal interview.
- If selected, applicants must adhere to program standards (see below).
- Please review the required dates of participation (listed above) prior to applying for this program. Failure to attend the mandatory boot camp, 8 out of 9 workshops, and/or meet the 80 hours required for community service may result in dismissal from the program.*
- Attendance at bootcamp and graduation is mandatory.
*The only exceptions to this policy will be related to health and/or safety. Teen must obtain a doctor’s note and written approval from the Teens In Action program manager or other Frameworks leadership.
*Participants who identify a conflict with attendance requirements will be offered a refund only if withdrawal is requested prior to the initial bootcamp and a waitlist participant can fill the vacancy.
Ready to get started?
Applications are due by June 29, 2018.
Please, direct any questions or concerns to Alexandréa Worthy at firstname.lastname@example.org.