Please read the criteria and guidelines for the program to ensure you can meet the requirements.
Teens In Action™ 2021-2022 Program Details
- Applicants for Teens In Action™ must be entering grades 9 through 12 and live or attend school in Hillsborough County.
- Applicants must submit two letters of recommendation from adults familiar with their character and commitment to growth (i.e. teacher, pastor, coach, etc.).
- Applicants must dedicate at least 10 hours per month to a selected community service site to complete 80 hours of community service during the duration of the program (about 2 hours per week).
- Applicants must participate in a Teens In Action™ led capstone service project.
- Applicants must have transportation to and from bi-monthly networking sessions, and volunteer service sites if attending in-person.
- In reviewing applications, the selection committee looks for potential participants who demonstrate:
- A desire to develop social and emotional concepts and skills.
- A strong commitment to community service and learning about the projects they will support.
- The ability to make the time commitment required by the program.
- Upon final consideration, applicants will be contacted for an interview that will be conducted virtual or in-person if preferred.
Please review the required events.
- TIA Participant and Parent Orientation
- SEL Opening Retreat
- Bi-monthly SEL Workshops
- Graduation – End of year presentation
- Bi- monthly TIA Networking Sessions/Planning Committee meetings (Mandatory for Team Lead and TIA Advisory Committee)
- End of Year Celebration (optional)
Failure to attend events outlined below, and/or meet the 80 hours required for community service may result in dismissal from the program.
TIA Participant and Parent Orientation (Hybrid)
DATES: Sunday August 1st (Virtual) or Thursday, July 29th (In-person)
SEL Opening Retreat (Hybrid)
DATES: Wednesday, August 4th – Full day at a local Tampa Bay location (In-person) or Tuesday, August 17th 4:00 – 6:00 p.m. (Virtual)
Bi-Monthly SEL Workshops (Virtual)
DATES: First Tuesday of the month, 4:00-5:30 p.m. (except for the January workshop, which will be held on the second Tuesday of the month)
Mandatory for all TIA participants → No fewer than 4 out of 5 of the following workshops:
- Workshop 1 – Tuesday, September 7th
- Workshop 2 – Tuesday, November 2nd
- Workshop 3 – Tuesday, January 11th
- Workshop 4 – Tuesday, March 1st
- Workshop 5 – Tuesday, May 3rd
Graduation – End of Year Presentation (Virtual)
DATE: Saturday, May 7th 11:00- 1:00 p.m. (Virtual)- Mandatory for all participants
Bi-Monthly TIA Networking Sessions/Planning Committee Meetings (In-person)
DATES: Second Tuesday of the month, 4:30-6:00 p.m. (except for the December workshop, which will be held on the first Tuesday of the month)
Mandatory for Team Leads/TIA Advisory Committee and optional for TIA participants → No fewer than 3 out of 4 following sessions:
- Meeting 1 – Tuesday, October 12th
- Meeting 2 – Tuesday, December 7th
- Meeting 3 – Tuesday, February 8th
- Meeting 4 – Tuesday, April 12th
TIA End of Year Celebration (In-person)
DATE: Tuesday, May 24th (In-person-optional)
Selected Teens In Action™ participants are expected to:
- Fully and actively participate in all aspects of the Teens In Action™ program from 8/5/2021 – 5/24/2022.
- Demonstrate respect for staff, leaders, program guests, and fellow program members.
- Pay a $350 or $250 (if selected to be a Team Lead) program fee by 7/28/2021. Limited need-based scholarships are available.